- This event has passed.
June 16 - June 17
9th European Alcohol Policy Conference
The 9th European Alcohol Policy Conference is held in Oslo, 16 – 17 June 2022, organized by the European Alcohol Policy Alliance (Eurocare) and Actis – Norwegian Policy Network on Alcohol and Drugs.
This edition of the 9th European Alcohol Policy Conference comes at a particularly critical time for alcohol policy, including some promising policy initiatives:
- The WHO Global Alcohol Action Plan (2022 – 2030) should have been adopted at the World Health Assembly in May 2022.
- WHO Europe launched the SAFER initiative early in 2021, committing to building a European Region free from alcohol related harm.
- A new version of the “Framework to strengthen implementation of the WHO European Action Plan to Reduce Alcohol Harm (EAPA), 2022–2025” will be adopted in 2022.
- The new framework is set to accelerate implementation of the best buy alcohol policy solutions in the WHO European region.
- An opportunity to improve alcohol policy in the European Union has presented itself with Europe’s Beating Cancer Plan.
- This EU initiative includes a plan to introduce mandatory labelling of alcoholic beverages by 2022 and inclusion of health warnings by 2023 as well as plans for capacity building activities in the areas of EU legislation relating to the taxation of alcohol.
- It also provides for support to Member States in the implementation of evidence-based brief interventions on alcohol in primary health care, workplace and social services settings.
- In 2019, NORAD, the Norwegian Agency for Development Cooperation, launched Better health Better Lives, a dedicated international development strategy to combat NCDs in LMICs.
- With a budget of $133 million (1.2 billion NOK) from 2020 to 2024, the strategy includes prevention that targets leading NCD risk factors, including alcohol consumption.
- And in 2020, Norway also made funding for WHO’s SAFER initiative available.
A new format
This conference will be a space in which speakers and participants with diverse experiences (researchers, policy makers, civil society organisations and academia) will be able to network, debate, question and place critical issues related to alcohol related harm polices and progress. By bringing together innovators, policymakers, academics, people with lived experience, storytellers and health advocates the conference will explore:
- What are the major barriers to policy progress?
- Is raising awareness a precondition for the adoption of SAFER initiatives?
- Is the evidence at our disposal strong enough? If not, what should be the research agenda?
- How can different stakeholders contribute to make positive policy change?
- What is the role of the Research community in preventing and managing alcohol related harm at the national and global level?
- How to make allies beyond the alcohol control communities to start turning the tide?
Click here to register for the event.
The 9th European Alcohol Policy Conference will be held in Oslo, Norway. Adapting to the ever-changing COVID situation, this two-days conference will be an hybrid event, offering the possibility to join online or on sight in lovely Oslo.
The 9th European Alcohol Policy Conference will take place on June 16 and 17, 2022.
Side events, including the Eurocare Annual General Meeting, will be organised either before or after the conference.