- This event has passed.
Apr 12 '22, 9:00 AM - 12:30 PM
International Strategic Dialogue on Noncommunicable Diseases and the Sustainable Development Goals
April 12, 2022
9:00 AM – 12:30 PM GMT
Physical meeting in Accra, Ghana, and virtual on WHO’s Zoom platform
Cancer, heart diseases, diabetes, and lung disease, commonly known in the global health community as noncommunicable diseases (NCDs), together with mental health conditions, are one of the most significant challenges in global health today. Every year, there are more deaths from NCDs than any other disease group.
Insufficient global action on NCDs, combined with the COVID-19 pandemic, is creating the very real possibility that Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) targets 3.4 and 3.8 will not be met. Just 14 countries are on track to achieve SDG target 3.4, to reduce by one-third the premature mortality of NCDs through prevention and treatment and promote mental health and well-being by 2030.
Hosted by the Government of Ghana, the Government of Norway, and the World Health Organization, the International Strategic Dialogue on NCDs and the SDGs will take the next decisive step towards comprehensive action on NCDs and achieving SDG 3.4.
The International Strategic Dialogue seeks to:
- Raise the priority accorded to the prevention and control of NCDs within the national SDG response in low- and middle-income countries
- Bring together national and international actors and partners to share knowledge and ideas with key stakeholders on what would it take globally for low- and middle-income countries to achieve SDG 3 on health, with a particular focus on SDG 3.4 (NCDs) and SDG 3.8 (UHC) targets
- Raise the political visibility of Heads of State and Government who are providing a strategic leadership role in the prevention and control of NCDs to a global level.
The Dialogue will launch:
- An International NCD Compact 2022-2030 to accelerate the progress towards the NCD and SDG targets and
- An (informal) International Group of Heads of State and Government on the Prevention and Control of NCDs (NCD Presidential Group) will meet annually during the High-level general debate of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) in September 2022 towards 2025.
Download the full concept note, here.
Program and Speakers
- Opening Remarks
- Statements from key international stakeholders
- Patient Journey
- Arrival of the President of Ghana and Welcome Remarks
- Africa Regional Statements
- Keynote Addresses – What would it take globally for low- and middle-income countries to achieve SDG 3.4 (NCDs) and SDG 3.8 (UHC) and Response
- Heads of States
- Official Addresses – How to place countries on a path to reach the SDGs 3.4 and 3.8?
- Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director-General World Health Organization (WHO)
- HE Macky Sall, President of AU/Senegal (TBC)
- Jonas Gahr Støre, Prime Minister of Norway
- Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, President of Ghana
Launch of NCD Presidential Group and International NCD Compact 2022-30
- Closing of event
Please follow the link to register, here.