- This event has passed.
Mar 12 '20, 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Vital Role of Youth in the Advocacy for Alcohol Prevention and Control
This is a post-GAPC side event arranged by Movendi International in partnership with IFMSA and EMSA.
- Time: Thursday March 12, 2020 – 13:00 – 16:00
- Venue: Dublin, TBC
- Open to all GAPC participants and external guests
Please make sure to register and reserve you seat!
Adolescents and youth are a powerful catalyst for change within society through being a natural partner for preventing NCDs. The WHO estimates that 70% of premature deaths in adults are the result of behaviors begun during adolescence and youth, such as a significant 13.6% of adolescents partaking in heavy episodic alcohol use. In addition, youth are disproportionately affected by alcohol, especially harm from others’ alcohol use.
Our side-event aims to provide youth with the advocacy tools to address their governments and decision-makers to take urgent action for the prevention of early initiation and onset of alcohol use and wider alcohol harm, such as effective legislative measures regarding alcohol taxation and pricing policies, alcohol advertising, promotions and sponsorships, and alcohol availability as well as other cost-effective interventions that help protect children, adolescents and youth.
We also plan to equip youth with the knowledge and skills to influence the behavior of their own demographic.
Content of the event
- Concrete examples from around the world of youth advocacy and campaigning in alcohol prevention and control,
- Advocacy + Activity Management 101,
- Working groups to develop your own activity,
- Commit to one activity you will do back in your own country.