- This event has passed.
Aug 24 '21 - Aug 26 '21
SEVENTY-FIRST SESSION OF THE WHO REGIONAL COMMITTEE FOR AFRICA
The WHO Regional Committee for Africa is the Organization’s decision-making body on health policy in the African Region. It comprises of Ministers of Health or their representatives from each of the 47 Member States in the Region.
August 24 – August 26, 2021
9:00 AM – 5:00 PM each day
WHO Africa’s virtual platform
The main functions of the Regional Committee include formulating regional policies and supervising the regional office as set out in Article 50 of the WHO Constitution. The Committee also nominates the Regional Director for Africa every five years and transmits its decision to the WHO Executive Board for endorsement. The Regional Committee usually meets each year in August and the Regional Director acts as its Secretary.
The Regional Committee is guided in its work by its Rules of Procedure and the WHO Constitution.
Program and speakers
- Opening remarks
- Professor (Mr) Mijiyawa Moustafa, Minister of Health and Public Hygiene and Universal Access to Health Care of Togo
- Professor Benjamin Hounkpatin, Minister of Health of Benin, and Acting Chairperson of the Seventieth session of the Regional Committee
- Mrs Amira Elfadil, African Union Commissioner for Health, Humanitarian Affairs and Social Development
- Dr Matshidiso Moeti, WHO Regional Director for Africa
- Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director-General of WHO
- Election of the Chairperson, the Vice Chairpersons and the Rapporteurs
- Adoption of the provisional agenda and provisional annotated programme of work
- Appointment of the Committee on Credentials
- Statement of the Chairperson of the Programme Subcommittee
- Annual Report of the Regional Director on the work of WHO in the African Region
- Matters of global concern related to World Health Assembly decisions and resolutions
- Sixth progress report on the implementation of the Transformation Agenda of the WHO Secretariat in the African Region
- WHO Programme Budget 2022–23
- Framework for an integrated multisectoral response to TB, HIV, STIs and hepatitis in the WHO African Region
- Framework for the implementation of the Immunization Agenda 2030 in the WHO African Region
- Framework for the implementation of the Global strategy to defeat meningitis by 2030 in the WHO African Region
- Framework for the implementation of the Global strategy to accelerate the elimination of cervical cancer as a public health problem in the WHO African Region
- Framework for implementing the Global strategy on digital health in the WHO African Region
- Framework for improving access to assistive technology in the WHO African Region
- Framework for implementing the priority actions of the global plan of action of the Decade of Healthy Ageing 2021–2030 in the African Region
- Framework for strengthening the use of evidence, information and research for policy-making in the African Region
- Information Documents
- Draft Provisional Agenda, place and dates of the Seventy-second session of the RegionalCommittee
- Adoption of the Report of the Regional Committee
- Closure of the Seventy-first session of the Regional Committee
- Special event on Polio
- Special event on COVID-19
Access the full provisional agenda here.
Access the provisional annotated program of work here.
Registration for regional committee meetings are by invitation.
More information coming soon, as it is made available by WHO.