- This event has passed.
September 13 - September 15
SEVENTY-FIRST SESSION OF THE WHO REGIONAL COMMITTEE FOR EUROPE
The WHO Regional Committee for Europe is WHO’s decision-making body in the European Region. It comprises representatives of each Member State in the Region, and meets for four days in September each year.
September 13 – September 15, 2021
9:00 AM – 5:30 PM each day
WHO Europe virtual platform, broadcast from Copenhagen, Denmark
At the annual regional committee meeting of WHO European region, Member States:
- formulate regional policies;
- supervise WHO/Europe’s activities;
- comment on the regional component of WHO’s proposed programme budget;
- every five years, nominate the Regional Director for Europe and transmit their decision to the WHO Executive Board for endorsement.
Health ministers and high-level representatives of the 53 Member States of the WHO European Region as well as partner organizations and civil society will meet virtually to discuss current health issues and set the direction for future activities.
This 71st session of the WHO Regional Committee for Europe (RC71) will converge around delivering the WHO European Programme of Work 2020–2025 (EPW) – “United Action for Better Health in Europe”, which was adopted last year. More specifically, Member States will be invited to:
- endorse the official launch of the EPW flagships, the European Immunization Agenda 2030 and the Mental Health Coalition;
- draw lessons from the COVID-19 pandemic in terms of emergency preparedness and response;
- consider opportunities to reorient health systems, reinvent primary health care and rethink health priorities in the post-COVID-19 era and in the light of future pandemics;
- strengthen WHO politically, technically and financially, making WHO/Europe fit for purpose, and optimizing its impact at country level.
The official programme of RC71 will run for 3 days on 13–15 September 2021. Real-time coverage will be shared on WHO/Europe’s social media channels using #RC71CPH. Emphasis will be placed on supporting interactive discussions and ensuring a healthy meeting environment.
Program and speakers
- Opening of the session
- COVID-19 lessons learned: getting ready for the next pandemic
- Report of the Pan-European Commission on Health and Sustainable Development: presentation of recommendations and conclusions
- Reinventing primary health care in the post-COVID-19 era
- European Immunization Agenda 2030: building better health for tomorrow
- The Mental Health Coalition: building an economy of well-being
- European Programme of Work, 2020–2025 – “United Action for Better Health in Europe”: monitoring implementation
- WHO budget and sustainable financing
- Private meeting: elections and nominations
- Delivering a fit-for-purpose WHO/Europe for country impact
- Accreditation of regional non-State actors (NSAs) to the WHO Regional Committee for Europe and review of the accreditation status of NSAs accredited in 2018
- Matters arising from resolutions and decisions of the World Health Assembly and the Executive Board
- Progress reports
- Confirmation of dates and places of regular sessions of the Regional Committee
- Other matters
- Closure of the session
Access the full provisional agenda here.
BRIEFINGS AND SIDE EVENTS
A series of additional briefings and side events will be held on September 16 – 17, 2021, to facilitate further reflections and discussions on a range of other health issues, including:
- The health and social care workforce
- Climate change and health
- Access to affordable medicines
- Health literacy
- Alcohol policies
- Health in prisons
- The Small Countries Initiative
- Work by the geographically dispersed offices and technical centres in the WHO European Region.
Registration for regional committee meetings are by invitation.
More information coming soon, as it is made available by WHO.