Themes of High-level Political Forum (HLPF) on sustainable development decided for next three years
In the resolution titled “Follow-up and review of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development at the global level” (document A/70/L.60) adopted on July 29, 2016, the United Nations General Assembly decided the themes for the High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development for the next three years.
The HLPF will have the following overarching themes, in the coming three years:
- 2017 HLPF theme: “Eradicating poverty and promoting prosperity in a changing world”
- 2018 HLPF theme: “Transformation towards sustainable and resilient societies”
- 2019 HLPF theme: “Empowering people and ensuring inclusiveness and equality”.
The 2030 Agenda gives this Forum a clear mandate to be a central global platform for review and monitoring,” Under-Secretary-General Wu Hongbo said.
Its review must be robust, voluntary, effective, participatory, transparent and integrated with other follow-up and review activities.”
In its resolution, the General Assembly reiterated the integrated, indivisible and interlinked nature of the Sustainable Development Goals. It decided that the HLPF would discuss a set of SDGs and their interlinkages at each session, with a view to facilitating an in-depth review of progress made on all the SDGs over the course of a four-year cycle.
Each annual group of SDGs would also represent the three dimensions of sustainable development.
SDG 17 is to be discussed each year. The sets of Goals to be reviewed in depth for the remainder of the current cycle will be
- In 2017, the SDGs to be reviewed: Goals 1, 2, 3, 5, 9 and 14;
- In 2018, the SDGs to be reviewed: Goals 6, 7, 11, 12 and 15; and
- In 2019, the SDGs to be reviewed: Goals 4, 8, 10, 13 and 16.