#FeministVision at HLPF: 13 Million Impressions
At the 2017 High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development (HLPF), the Women’s Major Group (WMG) achieved a number of impressive successes in their advocacy for to promote human rights based sustainable development with a focus on women’s human rights, women’s empowerment and gender equality. IOGT International is a member of the WMG and took part in WMG advocacy efforts during the HLPF.
- The Women’s Major Group was able to mobilize 246 members and 88 of those hailed from countries that reported on their national progress in achieving the Sustainable Development Goals.
- WMG members delivered 5 speeches and were able to make 11 interventions addressing Member States throughout the High-level Political Forum.
- With their members, WMG hosted 38 side events during the course of the HLPF.
- WMG was able to influence the Ministerial Declaration (outcome document) of the HLPF through effective advocacy towards country delegations.
- In the social media, the hashtag “feminist vision” made 13 million impressions.
Beyond these achievements, the WMG worked tirelessly to highlight, denounce and resist structural barriers to WOmen’s Human Rights, women’s empowerment and gender equality.
What is the HLPF and WMG?
The Women’s Major Group (WMG) takes responsibility for facilitating women’s civil society input into the policy space provided by the United Nations (participation, speaking, submission of proposals, access to documents). The WMG is self-organized and open to all interested organizations working to promote human rights based sustainable development with a focus on women’s human rights, women’s empowerment and gender equality.
Women’s Major Group
The WMG consist of 2 divisions. The WMG for “Sustainable Development” responsibility covers the Rio+20 outcome (SDGs, Financing for Sustainable Development, Small Island Development States SIDS, Technology) and the Post-2015 development agenda process. It covers the global and regional policy processes of the United Nations. The WMG for Sustainable Development (SD) is the focal point for UN-DESA, ECOSOC and the General Assembly for all UN Sustainable Development policies. The Women’s Major Group (WMG) on “Environmental Policies” follows the policies processes related to the UN Environment Program (UNEP) and the policy processes governed by UNEP such as “Sustainable Consumption and Production” and “Chemicals Conventions”.
High-Level Political Forum
The High-level Political Forum (HLPF) is the United Nations’ central platform for follow-up and review of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the Sustainable Development Goals. The HLPF provides for the full and effective participation of all States Members of the United Nations and States members of specialized agencies.