WEEKLY ALCOHOL ISSUES
June 07, 2021 – June 13, 2021
Alcohol issues from our Policy Newsfeed cover:
- France’s alcohol burden and the need for urgent action,
- How cities in the United States can reduce violent crime by regulating alcohol sales,
- Finnish people’s concern over the alcohol use of their loved ones, and
- Consumer protection experts in Germany voicing concern over flawed labeling of alcohol content in products…
Alcohol issues from our Science Digest cover:
- One study on the effectiveness of combining “why to reduce” and “how to reduce” in alcohol reduction messaging,
- A research study on COVID-19 related employment changes increasing alcohol consumption, and
- A new study about COVID-19 effects on mental wellbeing and substance use among adolescents in Iceland…
Alcohol issues from our Big Alcohol Watch exposes this week
- The alcohol marketing onslaught in the 2019 Rugby Six Nations Championship,
- Unhealthy sponsorships within junior sports clubs in Victoria, Australia, and
- The long history of Big Alcohol and pro-sports glamorizing ill-health…
Our Special Event Alert highlights:
- The Third Forum on Alcohol, other Drugs, and Addictive Behaviors (FADAB3), organized by the World Health Organization…
This week’s Special Feature explores: the lessons learned and conclusions drawn from the high-level joint side event on alcohol and COVID-19 during the 74th World Health Assembly.
The Special Features provides key insights and lessons learned for the way forward to use alcohol policy as catalyst for building back better after the coronavirus crisis…
Alcohol Policy News
Latest Science Digest
Big Alcohol Watch
Special Feature – No. 23
Lessons For Alcohol Policy From the Coronavirus Crisis
From the WHA74 Side Event: Reflections on the Potential and Challenges For Building Back Better
On May 27, during the 74th session of the World Health Assembly, the World Health Organization Regional Office for Europe, Movendi International, the NCD Alliance and the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) jointly organized a virtual event on the lessons learned about alcohol policy needs from the coronavirus crisis.
The groundbreaking event brought together high-level decision-makers from member states, WHO regions and opinion leaders from civil society and intergovernmental organizations to discuss the role of alcohol prevention and control for building back better in the coming months and years.
More than 600 participants had registered and more than 200 joined the event.
Special Podcast Episode – Alcohol policy as catalyst
Youtube video – Watch the WHA74 joint event again
Get all the presentations
Download all presentations for free, here.
Three major reports have provided unique and timely insights into these lethal interactions between alcohol and COVID-19.
The Alcohol Issues Podcast – Special Episode 20
Welcome to the Alcohol Issues Podcast and our 20th episode – another Special Episode as host Maik Dünnbier welcomes Kristina Sperkova back on the podcast. She is the International President of Movendi International.
In this special episode, host Maik Dünnbier talks with Kristina about key insights and the most important lessons that were discussed during the event.
Kristina reflects on the analysis that each of the speakers shared and what she thinks the highlights were. More than a year into the global pandemic, we aimed to take stock of global and regional experiences and knowledge around alcohol and the coronavirus crisis