A Content Analysis and Population Exposure Estimate Of Guinness Branded Alcohol Marketing During the 2019 Guinness Six Nations
To quantify Guinness-related branding in the 2019 Guinness Six Nations Championship.
Content analysis of Guinness-related branding (‘Guinness’ and the alibi brand ‘Greatness’) was shown during active play throughout all 15 games of the 2019 Guinness Six Nations Championship. The duration of each appearance was timed to the nearest second to provide information on the amount of time that Guinness-related branding was shown on screen. Census data and viewing figures were used to estimate gross and per capita alcohol impressions.
The coding identified a total of 3719 appearances of two logos of which 3415 (92%) were for ‘Guinness’ and 304 (8%) were for ‘Greatness’. ‘Guinness’ imagery was present for 13,640 s (227.3 min or 3.8 h, 16% of total active play time), ‘Greatness’ was present for 944 s (15.7 min, 1% of total active play time), with a combined total of 14,584 s across all games (243 min or 4.05 h, 17% of active play time). The 15 games delivered an estimated 122.4 billion Guinness-related branded impressions to the UK population, including 758 million to children aged under 16.
Alcohol marketing was highly prevalent during the 2019 Guinness Six Nations Championship and was a significant source of exposure to alcohol marketing and advertising for children, likely influencing youth alcohol experimentation and uptake.