The measures which came into effect in Northern Ireland on October 16 include the following:
- Ban on sale of alcohol in off-license premises and supermarkets after 8:00 PM.
- Closure of the hospitality sector except for delivery and take away.
- All takeaway premises will be closed by 11:00 PM.
- Schools will be closed for two weeks.
The World Health Organization recommends improving alcohol availability rules during the pandemic and lockdown. This is due to several reasons including:
- Alcohol increases the risk of infection and risk of more severe COVID-19 disease progression,
- Alcohol weakens the immune system, and
- Alcohol-related injury, disease and violence increase the burden on healthcare and emergency services which are already near or over capacity.