Alcohol Issues Newsletter October 17 – October 21, 2022
This week’s Alcohol Issues highlights
- Understanding Alcohol Harm in Nepal and What To Do About It.
- Japanese Alcohol Industry Uses TV to Target Children and Youth with Alcohol Marketing.
- Conflict of Interest Exposed: Beer Giant Funds Screening and Treatment for Alcohol Problems It Causes.
This week’s most popular stories
- Link Between Alcohol Use and Greater Need of Healthcare Due to COVID-19.
- Coalition Sues to Force Treasury Department Decision on Alcohol Labeling.
- Denmark: New Survey Reveals Oppressive Alcohol Norm.
Most Popular on the News Center
Special Feature – No. 35
Communities from Around the World Call on Netflix to Exclude Alcohol Ads
In November, Netflix will start rolling out its new and cheaper ad-supported package “basic with ads” for $6.99, per month. Netflix has decided to exclude certain advertisements, such as gambling ads from this new ad plan.
A group of over 50 signatories representing communities from around the world has sent a letter to the Chairman of Netflix calling on the streaming service to extend the exclusion of adverting to alcohol ads in the new tier.
Movendi International and 40 member and partner organizations from countries around the world with big Netflix markets have endorsed the letter.
Their letter highlights several facts about the harm caused by the alcohol industry:
- Globally, alcohol is causally linked to over 200 disease and injury conditions.
- 3 million lives are lost each year due to alcohol.
- Alcohol consumption during pregnancy causes Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD), a lifelong disability.
Research projects have previously exposed harmful alliances between Netflix and health harmful industries, including Big Tobacco and Big Alcohol.
Alcohol content on Netflix promotes consumption among young people. Alcohol content occurs frequently in original films shown by video-on-demand services.
For a deep dive into the harmful effects of digital alcohol marketing and its growing prevalence, Movendi International provides a dedicated Science Digest Digital Alcohol Marketing.
The Alcohol Issues Podcast
The Alcohol Issues Podcast is an original production by Movendi International. It’s a show about current alcohol issues of global importance. Through in-depth conversations with policy makers, community leaders and scientists, we explore alcohol policy issues, discuss landmark scientific studies, and expose the alcohol industry.
The Alcohol Issues Podcast is a unique resource to stay updated about latest developments in the field of alcohol policy and science. We make complex issues more easily understandable and drive the global conversation about modern alcohol policy solutions.
Advertise on the pod
Become a sponsor of this unique service and help bring compelling conversations, inspiring content and weekly news, vital updates and ground-breaking analysis to more people around the world.
If you are interested, please e-mail Kristina Sperkova, the President of Movendi International.