WEEKLY ALCOHOL ISSUES
September 20, 2021 – September 24, 2021
This week’s Special Feature: Movendi Wins UN Award for Outstanding Advocacy
On the occasion of the UN Interagency Taskforce on NCDs recognizing Movendi International’s advocacy work to promote alcohol policy as solution to prevent non-communicable diseases, such as cancer, heart disease, and mental ill-health, this Special Feature provides deeper insights into Movendi International’s advocacy work, key issues, and the bold vision for ambitious alcohol policy in the future.
Alcohol issues from our Policy Newsfeed:
- European Union: Healthy food strategy hijacked by Big Alcohol;
- Namibian government mulls an alcohol advertising ban; and
- Estonia’s alcohol tax contribution to the government budget.
Our Big Alcohol Watch exposes:
- A new Oxfam report reveals Big Wines’ human rights abuses; and
- The alcohol industry normalizes everyday alcohol use in Sweden.
Alcohol issues from our Science Digest:
- A new study indicates clustering of intimate partner violence (IPV) in Ethiopia and alcohol’s link to IPV; and
- A research analyzing the contribution of risk factors, including alcohol, on the EU disease burden.
Our Special Event Alert highlights:
- European Health Forum Gastien from September 27 – October 1, 2021;
- Public Health Power Hour on alcohol and global health on September 30, 2021;
- WHO Webinar on health warning labels of alcoholic beverages on October 7, 2021; and
- Global Alcohol Policy Alliance virtual event from October 12 – October 14, 2021.
Alcohol Policy News
Latest Science Digest
Big Alcohol Watch
Special Feature – No. 29
Movendi Wins UN Award for Outstanding Advocacy
Movendi International received the 2021 UNIATF Award by the United Nations Interagency Taskforce on Non Communicable Diseases (UNIATF) in recognition of outstanding advocacy work to promote alcohol policy as solution to prevent NCDs such as cancer, heart disease, and mental ill-health. On occasion of receiving this prestigious award, this week’s Special Feature provides deeper insights into Movendi International’s advocacy work, key issues, and the bold vision for ambitious alcohol policy in the future.
The United Nations Interagency Taskforce on the Prevention and Control of Non-communicable Diseases (UNIATF), coordinates the activities of the UN and inter-governmental organizations to support governments to respond to NCD-related SDGs. This is the fourth year for the UNIATF Award. Movendi International is the first civil society organization working to prevent NCDs through alcohol policy to receive this award.
With nearly 170 years worth of advocacy experience, Movendi International is the voice for comprehensive and sustainable policy solutions to some of the world’s most complex health, development, Human Rights and economic issues.
We work hand in hand with decision-makers and opinion leaders around the world. Together we facilitate transformative change and drive sustainable solutions to alcohol as obstacle to development and justice.