WEEKLY ALCOHOL ISSUES
September 06, 2021 – September 10, 2021
This week’s Special Feature explores: The burden of FASD and prevention solutions.
In many countries around the world, September is awareness month about fetal alcohol sprectrum disorder. And this week, September 9, is international FASD awareness day. Therefore, we have dedicated this week’s Special Feature to FASD, the latest science, the burden of FASD and prevention solutions.
Alcohol issues from our Policy Newsfeed:
- The costs of alcohol on the Swedish healthcare system;
- South African crime rates rise with increased alcohol availability;
- Botswana lifts their temporary alcohol sales ban as COVID-19 cases decrease; and
- South Australia improves alcohol policy solutions.
Our Big Alcohol Watch exposes:
- Child-friendly alcohol packaging which is exposing kids to harm.
Alcohol issues from our Science Digest:
- A new study exposes how alcohol industry funded websites mis-represent evidence on heart health; and
- New research shows even low-dose alcohol use can cause atrial fibrillation (AF) episodes in AF patients.
Our Special Event Alert highlights:
- A WHO Europe Regional Committee Meeting alcohol policy side event on tackling the gap between evidence and policy action; and
- The 17th annual international INEBRIA Conference.
Alcohol Policy News
Latest Science Digest
Big Alcohol Watch
Special Feature – No. 27
Understanding the Burden of FASD and Prevention Solutions
In many countries around the world, September is awareness month about fetal alcohol sprectrum disorder. And this week, September 9, is international FASD awareness day.
That’s why we dedicate this week’s Special Feature to FASD, the latest science in different country cases to illustrate the burden and harm that alcohol use – by both father and mother – can cause to the unborn child.
Much more information on the FASD burden and on policy solutions can be found on Movendi International’s News Center and Science Digest, with continuous updates.